Use these prompts when sharing stories with your children.
- What could this book be about?
- Can you point to the title? or What is this? (pointing to the title)
- What do you think this story will be about?
- What might happen in the story?
- What do we call the writing on the back of the book? (Blurb) or What does the blurb tell us?
- Talk about the different parts of the book (eg. Front cover, back cover, title, author, illustrator, blurb)
During The Story
- Tell me what is happening in the pictures?
- What has happened so far? Is it what you expected to happen?
- What might happen next?
- How do you think the story might end?
- What sort of character is….? Is he/she friendly/ mean/ nice…?
- Ask children about events in the story: How would you feel if you had been that character? Has anything like that happened to you? Would you like that to happen to you?
After The Story
- What was their favourite part? Why?
• What was the most interesting/ exciting part of the book? Can you find it?
- Why did that character do … (give a situation/ event from the story)?
• What happened in the story? • Are there any words or phrases that you enjoyed?
• Did the pictures help you to understand the story better?
• Does this story remind you of anything that has happened to you?
- Did you like this book? Why? (Encourage children to develop their opinion about books by encouraging them to explain their reasons)